$18.00 – $150.00
I’m a Home Compostable courier satchel (envelope or mailer). I’m available in black in 7 handy sizes (and in ‘Buff’ in 2 sizes), in lots of 100 fully biodegradable mailers.
I have a lovely, matt finish with graphics as per the image gallery. I’m flat (i.e.. no gusset, but some stretch) with a 30mm flap (not included in the bag sizes) and self-seal strip. I behave just like a plastic satchel except when left in nature! In a home compost I will biodegrade in 3-6 months. Labels will stick to me no problem, and I’m waterproof and strong. Better. Right.
I’m made from plants, corn to be exact, with a man-made binding agent added for flexibility.
And the best bit … I can be composted at home! Yip, when you’ve finished using me, just put me in with your food scraps and garden waste, and before you know it, worms will be eating me for breakfast. Better for the environment, better for our oceans, a better tomorrow. Get a better understanding of my full lifecycle impact here.
PLEASE NOTIFY ME WHEN THE FOLLOWING SIZES ARE AVAILABLE
- Can you see through these? The black ones, no, they are totally opaque. The Beige Buff ones are ever-so-slightly see-through.
- What exactly are they made of?
- Corn starch (from corn not fit for consumption)
- PLA (Polylactide, which is made from waste corn too and other plants)
- and PBAT (Polybutyrate Adipate Terephthalate). We have a really detailed blog post about PBAT and what it’s made of here. We’d really encourage you to read it.
- How long will they take to biodegrade?
- Well, that will depend on the conditions they’re in. In a ‘standard’ home compost, the compostable courier satchels have been certified (AS5810 -2010) to biodegrade within 180 days, i.e.. approx 6 months. Under commercial composting conditions, it would happen much faster, and as litter (e.g. under a tree) it would happen slower, but it will happen. The Australian Standard is one of the most rigorous in the world and includes a worm toxicity test which means that our comPOST Packs are safe to be eaten by the little, pink wriggly guys.
- How long will they last on the shelf?
- This is very important. To ensure maximum longevity, the biodegradable mailers should be stored in a cool, dry place. If stored correctly, they will be tough enough to send parcels around the world for at least 9 months, if not, their strength will be compromised.
- Can they go in a worm farm?
- Yes they can. Our eco-friendly packaging is certified home compostable AS 5810 which includes a worm toxicity test … and these courier satchels pass with flying colours.
- How do these sizes compare to Australia Post satchels? (Refer diagrams in the image gallery)
- 500g Aus Post is closest to our Med
- 1kg is closest to our Large
- 3kg is closest to our XLarge
- and 5kg is closest to our XXLarge
- Do these dimensions include the flap?
- No they don’t.
- What weight/thickness are the bags?
- Our XS, S, M are 63um and all bigger bags are 81um.
*or in a Commercial Composting facility. Find a local composter here. Find out more about our other sustainable packaging – including compostable courier labels, (biodegradable) home compostable poly bags, home compostable zip lock bags (pouches), compostable padded (bubble) mailers.
Black 'Dirt Bags', Beige 'In the Buff'
XSmall – 130 x 235mm, Small – 165 x 235mm, Medium – 255 x 325mm, Large – 260 x 385mm, LLarge – 330 x 420mm, XLarge – 395 x 455mm, XXLarge – 420 x 594mm, XXLarge Tote-ally Reusable – 420 x 594mm, Uber – 600 x 650mm
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.