$5.01 – $64.41
THIS PRODUCT WILL BE RE-RELEASED IN Q4, 2020. PLEASE ADD YOUR DETAILS TO THE FORM BELOW TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE
I’m clearly Better! I’m a reusable, home compostable Zip Lock Bag available in 5 handy sizes. These re-sealable bags are perfect for keeping food* ‘just so’ in school lunchboxes, stationery, kids’ games, puzzles, craft, jewellery, in store product packaging, seeds … the options are endless.
* Things we’re trying to make Better
- I’m not quite as air tight as my traditional plastic ziplock bag equivalent, so won’t keep food as fresh for as long. I am great for freezing things in though
- My zip is very tight and although generally fine, may tear away from the rest of the bag if wrenched open
- We are still working out the best packaging for me as I’m getting a little creased in transit.
Sizes below exclude the portion of the bag above the zip so are the usable area only.
ADD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THIS PRODUCT BECOMES AVAILABLE AGAIN
I’m made from plants, corn to be exact, with a man-made binding agent added for flexibility.
And the best bit … I can be composted at home! Now, you might think we’re making much ado about zip, but that’s exactly the point. Put them in your home compost once they can’t be reused any more, and they will biodegrade to …well, zip, totally non-toxic elements – worm-friendly too. The zip component will take longer to compost, so please remove first if that’s going to be an issue.
Get a better understanding of my full lifecycle impact here.
- What exactly are they made of?
- Corn starch (from corn not fit for consumption)
- PLA (Polylactide, which is made from waste corn too and other plants)
- and PBAT (Polybutyrate Adipate Terephthalate). We have a really detailed blog post about PBAT and what it’s made of here. We’d really encourage you to read it.
- Why are they slightly milky coloured? There’s no way to make the cornstarch component totally transparent. This is what gives them their slightly silky, satiny feel too.
- How long will they take to biodegrade?
- Well, that will depend on the conditions they’re in. In a ‘standard’ home compost, the compostable ziplock bags have been certified (AS5810 -2010) to biodegrade within 180 days, i.e.. approx 6 months. Under commercial composting conditions, it would happen much faster, and as litter (e.g. under a tree) it would happen slower, but it will happen. The Australian Standard is one of the most rigorous in the world and includes a worm toxicity test which means that our zip lock storage bags are safe to be digested by the little, pink wriggly guys.
- How long will they last on the shelf?
- This is very important. To ensure maximum longevity, our compostable zip lock bags should be stored in a cool, dry place. If stored correctly, they will be ok for at least 9 months, if not, their strength will be compromised.
- Can they go in a worm farm?
- Yes they can. Our eco-friendly packaging is certified home compostable AS 5810 which includes a worm toxicity test … and these zip locks pass with flying colours.
- What weight/thickness are the bags?
- They are 40um.
*or in a Commercial Composting facility. Find a local composter here. Find out more about our other sustainable packaging – including compostable courier labels, (biodegradable) home compostable poly bags, home compostable zip lock bags (pouches), compostable padded (bubble) mailers.
|Size (w x h)|
65 x 75mm, 90 x 150mm, 200 x 190mm, 255 x 355mm, 305 x 440mm
|Quantity (per pack)|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.